Through an initiative designed to stimulate local media production by young African filmmakers, the International Finance Corporation is pleased to announce a call for entrants to a new, intensive 7-day course on videography to take place in Accra, Ghana from 20 August through 27 August 2017. Deadline: 26 July 2017
The training is designed to introduce up to 24 media makers to storytelling in the context of large-scale natural resource projects (Oil, Gas and Mining) and provide resources and new networks for young filmmakers interested in using media to better understand and connect those natural resource and development projects with the communities that host them. The training is part of a boarder program supported by IFC and Global Affairs Canada.
In addition to hands-on training in digital media, the program will also include basic business training and resources for employment and further training in the applicants' home country to fast track the careers of aspiring media makers passionate about social and development issues.
Entrants must be 35-years-old or younger, reside in Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, or Kenya, and have completed at least one short film or video.
Successful applicants will receive round-trip travel to Accra, Ghana, accommodation, ground transportation, use of media making and editing equipment and all meals while in Accra and a certificate of completion for all who successfully conclude the course. (Note: Successful applicants from Ghana will be required to reside in the accommodation provided with the other learners for the duration of the training.)
Translation will be available for all sessions, and all materials will be provided in both English and French.
To enter, please email the following materials to IFCFilmSubmit@gmail.com. Applications must be received by 26 July 2017. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Successful applicants can expect to be notified on or before 2 August 2017.
* Complete professional resume. Your resume should include all of the following for each position: employer, title, responsibilities, location, reasons for changing employers and explanations for any gaps.
* Complete academic history. Please include highest grade/degree earned, name of relevant institutions, major or concentration, and any honors received. Include any special technical training or certification you have
completed. Also include all computer skills, including editing or special effects software, in which you are proficient. Please indicate your level of English and/or French language proficiency as well.
* Two Letters of Reference. Include two letters of reference, which indicate phone numbers and email addresses at which the referees may be reached, from former or current employers, teachers/professors or others with knowledge of your skills and aptitude. Letters should be addressed to Selection Committee, IFC-Canada Youth Video Initiative.
* Work Samples. Please include links to no more than two samples of your film or video work not to exceed 30 minutes total. You must be the principal creative director or producer of the work to be eligible for consideration.
* Certified Copy of Passport. Please send a copy of your passport, which must be valid for at least six months after 26 July, which has been certified by a commissioner of oaths or notary public. If your passport is from a country other than Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea or Kenya, please provide proof of residence in one of those four countries.
* Motivation Letter. In 1-2 pages, please tell us about yourself and why you seek this opportunity. Applicants should be able to connect a passion for storytelling with a sincere interest in social issues impacting their community. The successful applicant will also be able to identify a current challenge in his/her community involving natural resource or development issues in which media making could serve a concrete, solution-oriented purpose. Please make sure that your complete contact details are included in the header of your motivation letter.
Any questions can be directed to IFCFilmSubmit@gmail.com. Every attempt will be made to respond in a timely manner.