As the Discipline Lecturer and Head of Department for Production Design, looking for a committed and dedicated industry professional to lecture and provide support to undergraduate students.
The position requires someone with drive and initiative who is able to motivate students and guide them into the world of production design for Screen, TV and Stage. There is also a strong emphasis on cultural relevance within the teaching, and the need to help the students identify and develop a distinctive African voice to their productions, driving them towards an aesthetic signature. In this way we hope to be able to contribute to nation building and build the foundations for a sustainable local film industry.
Working within the Art & Design Department the Head of PD will be lecturing the following:
• Set design
• Dressing and properties
• Art history
• Lecturing 1st, 2nd and 3rd year degree film, TV and Stage students
• Teaching practical (construction, dressing, props)
• Teaching conceptual (theory of design, scenography)
• Conducting student consultations and reflective meetings
• Preparing content and lesson plans for each term
• Assessment registration for the term’s assessments
• Working with counter-parts to ensure parity across all campuses on term outcomes
• Attendance registers and class management administration
• Timetable planning
• Curriculum development
• Managing of Prop Stores and equipment booking
• Track production budgets for Art Department students on 3rd year level
• Maintain equipment and tools
Requirements and Personal Attributes:
1. At least 5 years’ experience in the film, stage and entertainment industry
2. Relevant Honours Arts degree in Film, Stage, and/or related design field.
3. Computer literacy
4. Highly developed organisational skills
6. Maturity to handle a range of situations
7. A meticulous and thorough nature
8. An ability to work to tight deadlines
9. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
10. Loyalty and a high level of confidentiality
11. Honest and trustworthy – committed to high integrity of excellence.
12. Culturally aware and sensitive.
Please send the following
• a CV (no certificates)
• email and telephone contact details
• 3 references
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.